Monday, March 15, 2010

Hurtful Words

Sometimes I just do not think about what I say.  Sometimes I just open my mouth and something completely hurtful comes out.  Sometimes, truthfully most of the time, I do not mean to hurt with what I say.  But that does not take away my responsibility for what I did.  In Bible class today we were talking about words and the power that they have.  Proverbs has a lot to say about this subject.  In Proverbs 12:6 we are told that "The words of the wicked lie in wait for blood, but the mouth of the upright delivers them."  This is saying that when you say something bad about someone, those words are just out there waiting to hurt.  It doesn't matter if they hear it now or in six months; the words will still sting the same.  We talked about this and my somewhat humble, somewhat proud self was thinking, "Well yeah, I do that.  I say things about people that could hurt them badly, but I am getting better..."  Then we moved on to Proverbs 15:1,4.  This says, "1. A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh words stirs up anger.  4.A gentle tongue is a tree of life, but perverseness in it breaks the spirit."  I loved these verses immediately.  They tell so much of how we should behave.  "A gentle tongue is a tree of life.."  Think about that.  Our words have healing powers.  Our words can help people stand strong.  Our words can do such great things.  Unfortunately, most of the time, our words can do just the opposite.  Here I was listening to this great lesson, thinking I have improved so much, gotten so much better.  Thinking about how when arguing with the special people in my life, in particular with one, about how I have learned control of ruthless, meaningless exclamations that only hurt to the core.  Class dismissed, and I walked to chapel.  As normal we began worship with some songs, and the leader asked us to stand and sing.  As some girls next to me huffed and puffed about having to stand, I became frustrated, turned to my friend beside me, and told her how I absolutely could not stand it when people act as if it is such a big deal to stand.  While I could argue that my point was right, that they were acting immature and careless to their worship of God, who was really at fault in this situation?  Those girls heard me.  They heard a thoughtless person make a careless comment about them.  Why did I have to open my mouth like that?  Would not my whole hearted worship not be a better behavior to exhibit in hopes that they would follow suit?  This example makes me sad that I cannot learn from my mistakes or from great lessons quick enough.  However, I do think it is typical of most of our lives.  We must make a greater effort to be the people Christ has called us to be.  And while doing so, we must control our words.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I review for BookSneeze®